Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Email from my Dad

I received this email from my Dad, and the pictures came from my Mother. I thought some of you might enjoy seeing what my kids are missing living far from grandparents. These are my sister, Kate's, kids.

I took Grace and Julia fishing in shifts this morning.
First Grace and I left at about 5:45 am and fished until about 8:30.
Grace caught 7 nice bream and had a great time.
Mom then brought Julia to the landing and I took her fishing.
I only take one at a time because if I have to save them from drowning I don't want to have to save two at a time.
Julia first caught a small yellow bass and then a nice bream. She had no trouble getting them into the boat. A few minutes later she hooked a 2# channel cat and started screaming, "Help me". I told her it was her fish and she had to catch it herself. It put up a good fight and ran to the other side of the boat and then back where it started. She finally got it near the boat and I reached down and grabbed the line and pulled it into the boat.
Not 2 minutes later she hooked a 3 1/2 # blue cat that I thought was going to pull her out of the boat. She screamed, "Help me right now!" I grabbed a hold of her life jacket and told her to catch her own fish. This turned into a major battle on the 7 ft black willow pole. She had such a grip on the pole her hands turned beet red. The fish made two runs up into the brush near the bank and I thought sure she would lose it. She finally got it turned around and near the boat and I lifted it in. Her blue eyes got as big as Easter eggs. She was one happy girl, but also a tired pup.
If you ask her how big that fish is, she will stretch her arms out as far as she can. She is not far wrong.
Mom took pictures and we will have it published in next months Texas Fish and Game magazine in the kids fishing section.
I would not take a $1000 for the experience.
Love, Dad

Grace, age 7
Julia, age 4

4 comments:

carla June 28, 2009 at 11:25 PM  

deborah, you can visit our family anytime. although, those fish look cool. maybe we can visit your family here in texas for you. ha! ha! j/k we are exhausted from everything we did. and yes, there are still even more places that we've gone that i still need to post. let me know when you come. :)

laurak June 29, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Those girls are going to keep everyone well fed.

Anonymous,  July 1, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

Wow, she'll never forget that! Do you guys do any fishing?