Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Washington DC

Darren went to the ACP convention in DC and we tagged along and played tourists. This was the first trip to DC that the kids could remember and we crammed in as much as possible in our 4 days there.

It was a lot of fun to see recognizable sites with the kids.









We visited the National Cathedral. The girls stopped to pray at every altar and kneepad. Who knew I had latent Catholics.(though the Cathedral is an Episcopal church, I believe)









Bea's class had just talked about the Natural History Museum the day we left, so she was looking for the jumbo elephant.















Darren joined us at the Library of Congress, after meetings. We then walked behind the Capitol to Union Station.











Everyone wanted to see the Lincoln Memorial.





Trying to do photo tricks with the Washington Monument.









We visited the Supreme Court Building after hours when no one else was around.--I thought it was great to get pictures without lots of strangers milling about.













The kids thought it was great fun to ride the subway. We also did the double-decker bus. Annabel was a little disappointed that she didn't get to ride in a taxi.


















The highlight of Darren's trip was seeing this stealth bomber.























Noah and Annabel bought handcuffs at the International Spy Museum (big hit) and spent the rest of the trip playing with handcuffs. I just wish I could have really locked them. It could have solved many of my problems.

11 comments:

Amy May 20, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

Love the pictures. I love DC and can't wait to take our kids.

Joanna May 20, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

it looks like it was fun! You have some great pictures! It makes me want to go.

Jen May 21, 2008 at 1:20 AM  

I'm SO behind in my blog stalking, so I'm just going to comment on this post, even though I just read several that I enjoyed (especially the Redwings game -- my kids would have LOVED that!) You and Heather are making me really miss living back east -- blossoms and trips to DC, this time of year is SO wonderful! You'll just have to enjoy it a little for me while I sweat in the 110 degree weather we're having this week! (I'm skeptical that I will EVER like Arizona.)

Anna May 21, 2008 at 8:57 AM  

DC is always fun. Glad you guys got to see so much and have some fun!

Tallandgeeky May 21, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

It looks like tones of fun! You'll have to give me your tips on being a tourist there.

Mary May 21, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

What a fun trip. Great pictures!!

Carrie May 21, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

So I've never been, thanks for posting all the great pictures. It looks like you had a TON of fun!

Sarah May 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM  

You did so many fun things and they all look so happy...maybe that's just what the pictures reflect, but hopefully you had a great time. The pictures are very cute!

Jessica May 22, 2008 at 9:44 PM  

Nothing original from me, but wanted to say I liked the pictures.

laurak May 23, 2008 at 2:17 PM  

I want to go to DC, too. Looks like you saw most of the highlights. Fun, fun.

Anonymous,  May 23, 2008 at 3:05 PM  

This trip looks like so much fun! I really wish Grandpa & I had been along, too. I loved our Thanksgiving in Williamsburg, even tho I felt bad much of the time.